Wednesday, 17 September 2008

Relativism

Today in school i stumbled across this thing called relativism. I think that its a very interesting viewpoint, and so Ill just babble on about it for a bit.

Relativism originates from ancient Greece, and was started by a group of philosophers known as Sophists. They argued that all morality was relative (hence the term relativism), and that the sence of whats wrong and whats right varied from place to place, from time to time and from person to person. Perhaps the essence of relativism is found in Protagoras' famous saying 'Man is the measure of all things'.

Cultural relativism is simply the idea that the moral code of people varies from culture to culture. What we may regard as right someone else may find completely wrong and vice versa. This is called the diversity thesis - because of the diversity across and within cultures here can be no one true morality. Ina famous example, the King o Persia asked the Greeks and the Callatians to swap their funeral practices (the greeks burnt ttheir dead, the Callatians burried them). It turned out that neither the Greeks or the Callatians were ready to accept the other cultures' funeral practice as they saw it as being wrong.

Which brings me onto why i chose to write about this in my blog. See, in out current word so many things are deemed as unnacepteable. Adultery, murder, stealing etc. These absolutes, ie. rules have been forced upon us ever since we were children. We accept them as being right simply because weve been taught so. But are there perhaps situations where these rules dont apply? Would a mother stealing to feed her chld be doing a bad thing? Would killing someone in self-defence be wrong? What about commiting adultery as a result of blackmail? Perhaps these examples are on the extreme side, but they show a weakness of the rules of our socity - it assumes that when doing these things, one's intention is always wrong and that the consequences and always bad.

That short little explanation was just to show you the angle that im coming from. Lets face it - our society regards homosexuality as wrong, bad, ugly and even disguisting. People love telling gay jokes, or making fun of the way they act or behave. The word 'gay' in inteslf has become a synonym for shit, bad, stupid, fucked up, wrong, you name it. That new phones is gay, that footballers playing style is gay, gay, gay, gay. Which is why relativism interested me. It gives people with different idealogies the chance to set their own moral code, based solely on their set of beliefs and values. It leads to a kind of peacefull acceptance between different viewpoints - if people are allowed to do what they want theyll learn to stay out of each others way. Of course a major weakness of relativism is that different viewpoints may go directly against each other e.g The catholic church against homeosexuality etc.

My 'idea' would be to create a getaway place for gay or bi teenagers to meet-up etc. It would be a place only for us with no outside interference. we'd be able to share our thoughts and feelings (which we clearly need - thats the main reason we crate blogs). We could feel safe and accepted withouth having to worry about being seen/caught. Of course, having some rules would be unavoidable - we couldnt allow nom-teenagers as that could cause safety hazards for the youngrer ones etc. But it would be a step forward. The problem is few people accept the existance of bi or gay teenagers. In fact, some time back on TV, there was a programme which assured that homosexuality was something comparable to a diesease, and that you were born with it.

From my personal experience I know that isnt true. Even thinking about coming out makes me stop thinking about it. I know i wouldnt be accepted in my school, by ost of my freinds even my family. But why? What is it thats so wrong about it? I guess that people will say 'oh its simply wrong'. Yet how can they say so if theyve never experienced it? Our modern world belives in freedom, and were all expected to be straight,yet without ever experiencing homosexuality or bisexuality how can we decide being staright is the right thing for us? Other poeple will give religion as the reason. Yet where in the bible does it say homosexuality is wrong? Does Jesus not teach that love is most important? However, both religious leaders as well as the media fail to accept our arguments. I hope, that one day, the church will look back and see that what theyre saying has been wrong. That, people will realise homofobia is in fact a form of witchunting. We say weve moved on - weve given black people freedom, women better standards of life, stopped witchhunts etc. BUt is it so? Can we really say were no longer the same barbaric people we were a few hundred years ago? What im wondering is how long can people keep running away from the truth about having a different sexual oreintaion? When will there come a point when well be treated normally, not as aliens but as people?

It is this negativity and even hostility towards us that has forced so many fo us, including me to be secretive about our beliefs, which only worsens the problem. There are things wed like to try (not neccesserarily of a sexual nature), or say, but were forced to stay hidden and pretend were normal. Its like being inside a glass cage - you can see others, observe others, and yet you dont have full freedom.

Ok, so there you have it - some of my views and beliefs. I understand that you may not agree with them, but at least try to understand them. Im looking forward to hearing your opinions about all of this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You should read this section from Jason's blog. It might help.

http://jasenigma.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-confessions-growing-up.html

Keep the faith. Things will get better and you will eventually begin to understand.

Anonymous said...

Hey man,

My name's Landyn, and I think I know almost exactly how you feel-because I am right there with you. I live a long ways away from you (California, USA) but I feel the same things you do. Scared, confused, angry at how our world looks at "people like us", and sad. Maybe you don't feel sad, but I sure do First, let me say, I am 17. I was born in a religious family and was raised like that - a religion where gays arent allowed many freedoms that they should be.
I have been reading Stan's blog for a while, and am thinkin about starting my own. I just read through both ur posts, and I understand how u feel.

I think that would be a good idea to start a place where teens can meet up and talk. I think there are some places that already do that but I think they are hard to find--I havent ever found any haha.

But just know that there is at least one person out there, across the ocean, that understands how you feel and is going through the same thing.

I hope ur good, and hope u have an awesome day :)

-Landyn

Anonymous said...

Hi

just came over from stan to read your blog.
It's quite "young" but I see many similarities between your thoughts and myself.
I thought long about these things, too.
My result is that only my best friends know how I really feel. It was not easy to tell them, because you never know how they will react although you know them for years. But as for me all went well up to now and it was a great relief for me.
As for the other people (family, other friends) I don't hide it but I don't tell it everybody right in the face.
It's just a little step and not so much but it's a beginning. How it will go on, I don't know yet...

Keep up your blog, I'll revisit and see how you are doing. Best wishes!
Yours P.

winglessangel said...

Umm thanks for all the comments. Im glad someone actually read my stuff and feels/felt similar - it means more to me than you can imagine.

Anonymous said...

"Yet where in the bible does it say homosexuality is wrong?"

is what you said in your post...
Lookie here:

Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"

Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

---As a Christian, you should pray for the salvation of the homosexual the same you would any other person in sin. The homosexual is still made in the image of God -- even though he is in grave sin. Therefore, you should show him same dignity as anyone else you come in contact with. However, this does not mean that you are to approve of their sin. Don't compromise your witness for a socially acceptable opinion that is void of godliness.
- said the pastor

Now, I think this is all bullshit, but I'm just answering your question! = )

winglessangel said...

meh dat just ruined my point thx! Jk. On a more serious note I think the next update will be about religion, christainity in particular as dats what I'm meant to be:/

Steevo said...

You have some interesting ideas, WA. Most cultures observe some moral absolutes because they harm the common good [under normal circumstances] It's not fair reasoning to cite a couple extraordinary circumstances that are obvious exceptions to such common moral beliefs such as no murder, don't steal, tell the truth. Problems arise when we get into sexual morality. There cultures vary because it is not so easy to decide what will actually harm the common good. Since our sexuality is such a huge PART of who we are as humans, we are very vulnerable in that area for people who seek power and control to dictate what is moral and what is not. If I can control your sex life, the rest is easy.

You make some statements that are ABSOLUTE that I don't agree with. Such as: "Lets face it - our society regards homosexuality as wrong, bad, ugly and even disgusting. People love telling gay jokes, or making fun of the way they act or behave. The word 'gay' in itself has become a synonym for shit, bad, stupid, fucked up, wrong, you name it. That new phones is gay, that footballers playing style is gay, gay, gay, gay."

A more accurate statement would be that *many people in* our society regard....etc. I know hundreds of str8 people who have no problem with the way I live and share love. If they do, they don't say anything and seem civil enough. And heck, that's good enuf 4 me! The times are changing. As old people die off, it gets better and better. Sociological studies show a constant and consistent pattern of more acceptance of gay people or at least tolerance by younger people. Sure there are wackos out there who spout all sorts of nonsense. I think those nut cases in the media help us. Their behavior shows the logical conclusion of hate. Makes people think. [People who know 1 gay person or have a gay family member are like 4 times as likely to accept gay people.] The Prop 8 campaign here in CA is very close. Obama favors absolute rights for gays, except it would be political suicide to advocate gay marriage. But he thinks that same sex couples should have ALL the rights and privileges of str8 couples. And sez the feds should enforces that. SEE MY BLOG ABOUT THAT!

That stuff is all fine, but does not help u too much right now. You can not change the world out there. Except in some small personal ways. Like objecting to gay bashing when u hear it on simply ethical grounds.

Whay you can change is YOU! How you define the problems you feel you have. How u plan your life for when u move out to go to uni or whatever. How u use this blog as the best substitute available for non-virtual friends. Here u can vent. Very important. You can ask for advice. Then consider all options and come to your own conclusions. And you can come to accept that it is impossible for you to figure everything out in your life. That's reality.

The people who might hate you for being gay are just wrong. Those who would taunt you for being gay are simply wrong. Religious leaders who condemn you or tell u it is OK to be gay, but live a celibate life are wrong, if that is what u conclude using the brain god/th goddess gave u.

I've used enuf space. I know how u feel, i really do, WA. If you are depressed and feel suicidal, go here:

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/home1.aspx

I would have emailed much of this, but there is no email address on yer blog.

Be strong! If you take yourself out suicide], then the bastards win.